Digital lending: eBooks
Did you know we have more than 7,000 eBooks you can borrow, for free, using just the device in your hand?
From fantasy to non-fiction, from thrillers to literature, you can browse, select and download a book and be reading in minutes. OverDrive is our main supplier of eBooks and is compatible with many devices, including Kindles, Nooks, iPads/iPhones, Android, and Windows. You can even read eBooks right in your web browser.
You can also access the collection through either the OverDrive app or the Libby app. The OverDrive app is the classic experience, while the Libby app launched in mid-2017 and offers a beautiful new user experience. Regardless of which you choose, you’ll have instant access to the same collection.
Borrow eBooks from OverDrive now →
Tips for using OverDrive eBooks
Please ask a librarian or come in and see us if you have questions.
- OverDrive has an extensive help section. Start here if you have questions about using OverDrive with your device
- This service is available to city resident cards or paid nonresident cards in good standing. If you get a new library card number – because of a lost card, for example – please contact us so we can have OverDrive change your account to the new card
- You can check out 15 titles at a time. If they can be renewed, you will get a renewal option within three days of the expiration date. See our library lending policies for more details.
- You can place holds on up to ten unavailable titles
- Titles check out for one, two, or three weeks but can be checked in early
More eBooks from the library
EbscoHost is another source of downloadable eBooks, including Cliffs Notes, computing, how-to, legal, and fiction titles. EbscoHost titles are available for any device or computer that can install Adobe Digital Editions.
- To get started, create your EbscoHost Account. Click on Sign In in the upper right corner. Create a New Account and follow the instructions to create your account
- Install Adobe Digital Editions or a supported app, such as the Bluefire Reader for Apple products. Adobe has an extensive help section on how to download this software and how to make it compatible with eBook readers
- You can borrow up to 10 titles at a time. Items check out for up to three weeks
- Ebsco eBooks cannot be renewed or returned early
- Please read the EBSCOhost help screens for more details
Gale Virtual Reference Library
Gale Virtual Reference Library includes full-text encyclopedias and other reference sources in a number of subject areas such as medicine, history, culture, and education.
- Available to city resident cards in good standing
- Read online – always available
- Search full text
- Download chapters as PDFs or as audio MP3s